The Tithe Apportionment of 1842 indicates who owned and occupied each plot of land (field, allotment, farm or house). Being so close in date to the 1841 census, it can be used to complement the latter source, and to more accurately locate a particular family. (For example see Cleugh House illustrated right)
Our Tithe Records consist of :
digitised tithe maps images of Stanhope Parish (Forest, Park, Town and Newlandside Quarters);
digistised tithe map images of Wolsingham Parish;
transcriptions of Apportionments (in fully searchable spreadsheet format) of the Forest and Park Quarters of Stanhope Parish;
images of the apportionments for Stanhope Town & Newlandside Quarters and Wolsingham Parish.
Tithe Map and Apportionment
The Tithe map and apportionment 1842 showed that Cleugh House and adjoining fields in the Forest Quarter (368, 369 and 370) were owned by Mssrs Featherstone (Newcastle) and occupied by Thomas Milburn.
The total land comprising 8 acres was used for grass and pasture and the rent including house was 1 shilling and 4 pence.
Thomas was also tenant of a 16 acre plantation of woodland.
The 1841 census showed that he was a lead miner and had a wife Mary and five children John, Mary, Hannah, Thomas and Phoebe.
Portion of 1842 Tithe Map for The Forest of Weardale