Our Wesley Room holds a fine collection of Methodist memorabilia from chapels and homes in the valley. It is probably the largest collection in the whole of the North East.
Here we also tell of John Wesley’s thirteen visits to Ireshopeburn, the amazing story of the ‘plain and simple folk’ who were his pioneer evangelists in the North Pennines and the intensity of the Primitive Methodist revivals of 1822-5.
Wesley first preached outside, beneath the nearby thorn tree, but also in the historic chapel next door.
The chapel is now the oldest purpose built Methodist chapel in continuous weekly use, it is open for Museum visitors.
Guided visits with a talk can be provided for organised groups.